Baja California was until now famous for its car and motorcycle races in the desert, and for the marine sanctuary that the Cortes Sea represents. Commandant Cousteau even called it the ‘world’s aquarium’… Now it is possible to charter a catamaran there and, depending on the period, cruise amidst the whales and their young…and exceptional flora and fauna. Cruising which is definitely unique in the world!
- FORMALITIES: Valid passport.
- HEALTH: Above all be careful of Montezuma’s revenge! It is best to only drink bottled water! But the main danger in this area comes from the drug traffickers… To be very carefully avoided!
- WEATHER: The climate is arid or semi-arid in this region, with its desert tendency… The summers are hot and moderated by the breeze, but the winters are cold… Baja California is narrow in this area, and the influence of the Pacific can be felt. Summer daytime temperature: 37°C on average; from 20 to 26° for the rest of the year.
- SAILING CONDITIONS: Sailing conditions are relatively simple. In winter, the prevailing wind is from the north-west and blows at between 10 and 15 knots. In both winter and summer, there are many calm days. Tides and currents are rather weak.
- CURRENCY: Mexico’s currency is the peso, but the American dollar is generally accepted everywhere. (1 euro = 14.92 pesos).